Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Gumby, the Clay boy...


As a child, I was fascinated by the series in the television wherein this blue character keeps walking in an odd manner. Later. I found out that it was made out of clay. I kept on bothering my older brother to shape my Play-Doh just like the creature on television. Growing up, I forgot about the blue creature. Then in gathering data for my thesis I found out that the creature's name was Gumby. A weird name for my weird shaped friend, I have been wondering why the shaped? Was it because it was the easiest thing to shaped? Well, here a trip down memory lane and discover what’s behind the most famous TV series Gumby:

Right after Sam Engel, the movie producer, had seen Art Clokey's film Gumbasia he was so impressed that he asked if Art could create a new character for children's TV. Art played around with clay for weeks, molding many shapes and colors as he searched for the right figure.The first thing Art set out to do was create a shape and size that were functionally practical from the film animating standpoint."Animating clay for hours under hot lights created a problem," Art explained. "I found it necessary to have a shape and size that were easily reproduced, so that a fresh figure could be substituted as the old one became dirty and completely misshapen through excessive manipulation. "Something thin and geometric with square edges rather than rounded and fat made complete sense.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/f/f2/200px-Gumby_pokey.JPG
-photo (many thanks!)
http://www.gumbyworld.com/memorylane/histgum.htm
-article (many thanks!)

No comments: